Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 4 - a mass landout

Today everyone in the class decided to play start gate roulette. The conditions were forecast to be blue, so no one wanted to be the first to leave. The one thing that concerned me was the forecast 6 pm end of convection and we were on a 405 km task with a gate opening of 1350, and then the games started. In the end we all landed out because of the games.

I landed out about 40 km from home at 1850 needing 1 more climb to get me home, unfortunately nothing was working anymore. But my distance was good enough for 999 points on the day.

I was able to stay ahead of the gaggle most of the day and flew a lot with the 18 m gaggle where our tasks crossed. The 15 m gaggle was a furball, while the 18 m guys were much more repectful. Today I have lodged a complaint against one of the Italian pilots who insists on trying to climb up the middle of a 30 plane gaggle and continually turns inside everyone cutting them off in the thermal.

3 comments:

Marco said...

Dave, excellent job yesterday!!! I understand the 0.2 km (1 point) difference was only created by the landing circuit, so that is a tie for 1st in my book!!! A great day for a Dutch/Canadian supporter like me....
Enjoy the day off, and then full throttle to the finish!
Cheers, Marco Raaijmakers

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave:

Congratulations on your excellent result! I know what you mean about start gate games. I have had similar days at the worlds. Once, in Australia, we had a 750 km triangle and everyone delayed with the result that all landed out, similar to your experience.
I know that the gaggling can be atrocious on days like this. However, keep your cool and hang in there.
Well done!

Ulli

Dave Springford said...

thanks guys! It was a really tactical day I think and I made some good decisions, but also had some good luck.