Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 3



Today was another challenging day, with 20 - 25 kt winds, but the lift was strong and there was much less spread-out of the clouds.

I was one of the first to launch at 1115 and after tow immediately climbed in 3 kts to 3500 ft and then headed upwind to the startpoint with 3 other gliders and found nothing to climb in. Eventually I decided to take are-light instead of struggling at 1000 ft like some of the other guys.

After the relight, conditions were better, but still just as windy. By the time I climbed to cloudbase I was 19 km downwind of the startpoint!

Fortunately when I arrived at the startpoint most of the 15m class was still milling around waiting to start. I had some trouble getting a good start since as soon as you circled, you were blown away from the start zone. I was finally able to start about 10 minutes after the pack and had only a couple of companions on the first and second leg. On the third leg, I met up with a bunch of 18 m guys as was able to move along quickly. On the fourth leg, I flew with some open class gliders.

In the rush to take off in the morning, I copied the task from the previous day in my computer and forgot to change the last turnpoint zone from 1 km to 0.5 km, so I missed the final zone by 150 m, thus the 50 pt penalty for the day, damn stupid mistake!

No comments: